The FBI just got more ammunition for its fight with Apple over hacking the iPhone that belonged to San Bernardino terror suspect Syed Farook.
Reuters reports that "some victims" of the deadly attack will publicly support the government's request to have Apple create a back door into Farook's locked iPhone.
"They were targeted by terrorists, and they need to know why, how this could happen," Stephen Larson, the lawyer who is representing the unnamed victims, told Reuters.
It's unclear how many victims are coming forward. Fourteen people were killed and 22 others were wounded during a mass shooting in December 2015. Farook and his wife Tashfeen Malik are the primary suspects.
Larson, a former judge turned private lawyer, said he is representing the victims for free after being contacted by the Justice Department to do so last week.
Sunday's news of victims coming forward follows the blame game that's taken place over the last couple of days between Apple, San Bernardino county officials, and the FBI regarding evidence in the case.
The support of victims will aid the FBI's argument for making Apple comply with its request to hack the iPhone's passcode. Apple CEO Tim Cook called the request an "unprecedented step which threatens the security of our customers" in a public letter last week.